Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Chocolate Dipped Bacon

I know some of you are thinking, "What?! Bacon & Chocolate - Ewww," but trust me when I say it's all sorts of wonderful.  Salty & sweet, chewy & crunchy.  I promised, I'd be back to regular posting once summer was over, and I figured that my first post back ought to be the kind of delicious craziness that comes from random flights of fancy in my kitchen.  This summer of travel has meant very little time for crafting, but we do have to eat, even when living out of suitcases.  This quick and easy treat gets a big thumbs up from my boys.

There isn't much to the recipe.  It's basically dipping cooked bacon into chocolate.  What could be easier?  Recently I've been cooking bacon in the oven.  It's a simple, easy clean method for perfect bacon every time.    Lay out the bacon in a single layer on a foil lined jelly roll pan.  I cut the bacon slices into 1/4ths for the candy, but leave it whole for breakfast.

Place into a cold oven, then turn the oven on to 425.  Don't open the door while it's cooking.  After 17-18 minutes the bacon will be perfectly done.

Remove the cooked bacon to paper towels to drain.

Meanwhile, melt 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave.  One of my favorite things about my microwave drawer is that you can stir items from the open top without ever having to touch the hot bowl.

Dip the bits of cooked and drained bacon into the melted chocolate and lay on waxed paper to harden.  I use chopsticks for the dipping, but you could use a fork, too.

After the chocolate hardens completely, I store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Thanks for popping in and cooking with me.

3 comments:

  1. First I must say I'VE MISSED YOU! And I'm so glad you're back!

    And the chocolate dipped bacon?! Well, I can't imagine anything better! I NEVER would've thought to do that, but what a grand idea! Yay!

    You always come up with the best ideas.

    I hope your Summer was wonderful!! And I hope your Sept. is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm drooling I love bacon :) Maybe I will include these with my holiday treats.
    Thanks for the nice comment you gave my project at Primitive and Proper too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to perfect an oven-baked or broiled bacon cooking method, so I'll give your cold-oven hint a try! And the chocolate dipping.. Yum. I've had such a craving for bacon lately!

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!