Friday, June 8, 2012

Mulch Better

I didn't take any pictures last week during my wallowing, so I don't really have proper before photos for you of the never ending landscaping project that we've been working on.  Here's a very old picture that shows the area we've been working on.  Look how young SB and the Princess are!
Photobucket

Those shrubs up against the house blocked the view and had to go.  Plus the hill had crept up onto our house over the years with the dirt now 8" above our home's foundation.  Our yard needed regrading, and the weeds had gotten out of control.  Check out the craziness behind the hostas.
Photobucket

CG & WD spent countless man hours digging out our yard, one shovelful at a time, and built a new retaining wall using stone from our neighbor's yard that she wanted hauled away.
Photobucket

An afternoon was spent weeding(I cleaned up about 15 sq feet before the mosquitos chased me inside,) and  we picked up a couple of vans full of mulch.  We were lucky enough to find several busted open bags that were only $1.50 each.
Photobucket

And here's where it stands right now.  I found boxes of solar landscape lights clearanced at Lowe's, and they now light up the pathways.  We still need to seed our lawn, but we're getting there.
Photobucket

Thanks for popping in and working in the yard with us(mostly CG & WD, but I kept them well fed.)


Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingThe Shabby NestFridays Unfolded

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful value-hunting and the yard is gorgeous!

    8" above the foundation is a LOT of yard to dig out. What an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hastas are beautiful! These little projects take a lot of time and don't get much attention, but they sure do make a difference! Glad you kept your crew fed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - so well done!!! :) Great wall Men - and the hostas and fern are perfect together. Now, wanna come over here and duplicate that for me before grad party??? :) tee hee!!!
    Awesome guys - really!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking great ! Mulch and weeding are such a drag to accomplish, but make such a huge difference !!!!

    gena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful and I just can't take my eyes off those gorgeous hostas!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is some thing I need to do more research into, many thanks for the publish.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!